A cooperative nursery school is owned and operated by the parents and guardians whose children attend. Under the guidance of a teacher trained in early childhood education, co-op parents share in the responsibilities and joys of educating the children.
Benefits of a cooperative preschool:
- Children and parents become part of a community of people who are in a similar stage in life. Friendships formed during the preschool years can last a lifetime for both parent and child.
- Parents have a unique opportunity to observe and interact with their child and his or her peers while assisting in the classroom.
- Children take pride in working alongside their parents on their assist days.
- Parents learn useful parenting tools while assisting in the classroom.
- Tuition at a co-op is typically lower than at other types of nursery schools because parents serve as both administrators and assistants to the teacher.